Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Calling all couponers:

I spent quite some time today looking for printable coupons for the items on my grocery list. I was quite pleased with some of my results. Just a couple of weeks ago, I used an Internet coupon at a nearby Super Wal-Mart. So, today, I blithely headed off to our local Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery Store, thinking they would honor the Internet coupons, too. Well, when I got up to the cashier, she said, "Are those Internet coupons, ma'am? We don't take them." I was buying some gifts on behalf of my father, which was a separate transaction, and I didn't say anything. Later, on the way home, I wished I had pointed out that the Super-Wal-Mart took an Internet coupon.

As it was, instead of saving money, I actually spent a little more than if I had bought Wal-Mart generics. I had chosen some name brand products specifically to get the coupon.

Has this happened to you? I read that if you go through the self check-out line and scan them yourself, you won't have any problem. However, because of buying the gift certificates for my dad, I needed to go through the line.

What's the trick for getting stores to take the Internet coupons? I really like Internet coupons over the ones you get in the paper, because you can find coupons for items you really want to buy and you don't have to offset the cost of the newspaper in coupon savings before the savings show up in your food budget.

Enjoy!
Elizabeth

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a link to Heather from Freebies4Mom's post about WalMart's policy on printable coupons -- she recommends carrying with you a copy of the corporate policy for the stores you regularly shop at. Sometimes the cashiers aren't really informed on what the corporate policy is.

http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/2008/06/walmarts-coupon-policy.html

You might also find these posts of hers about printable coupons to be helpful:

http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/2008/01/coupon-tip-15-how-to-handle-rejection.html

http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/2008/07/be-empowered-consumer.html

Mimi said...

Thanks, Topaz Took!

NeedANap2 said...

You can also ask for a manager. That usually helps b/c the manager will say that they do take them. One time at Kroger an employee pointed to a corp letter from 1996 (it was late and she was the only cashier). I said they've changed their policy several times and last week they did take them. I don't think she did so I went back the next day with my receipt and customer service gave me the $ for the coupons.

I've done u-scan but sometimes it won't scan so you have to have a cashier scan them with their gun. Good luck! :)

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

Really?! I didn't know that! How frustrating for you! :( But thanks for the heads up.

I'd love it if you visited me! :) www.hersoutherncharm.blogspot.com
xoxo,
Jennifer

Mimi said...

Hi Need A Nap and Southern Wife,

Thanks for the info, Need a Nap. (I always like to see your online name on my blog. It makes me smile. Don't we all need a nap? -giggles-)

I like your new blog, Southern wife.

faerieeva said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!