Monday, October 13, 2008

It's time for some medicinal chicken soup!

We have the fall sniffles at our house, so I am craving some "medicinal" chicken soup. I pulled out my crock pot and threw in a few chicken tenderloins, a box of no-MSG and organic chicken broth, and a bit of veggie and fruit concentrate. Don't worry; the concentrate tastes more like veggies than fruits, so it will complement the broth.

To that, I added a leek and an onion plucked from my own garden. You may get a giggle out of this: Whenever I buy more green onions at the store than I use at one time, I stick the extras in my garden soil. Of course, I do this only with the ones that have roots on them. The onions take root and grow somewhat larger, though they never get as round as other varieties of onions. That way, the onions last longer than they would when refrigerated, and I use them in cooking just as I would use any other kind. I know it sounds strange, but it's a thrifty tip that works for me.

The leeks, I started from seed.

After chopping up the onion and leeks, I added lots of celery. I had some in my fridge that I had intended to use for a shower and didn't. It was still fresh, but it was high time that I used it. According to Organic Facts, the health benefits of celery are that "they are rich in vitamin C, they lower cholesterol, prevent cancer, reduce high blood pressure, and promote health. Celery contains amino acids, boron, calcium, chlorine, essential fatty acids, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, selenium, sulfur, zinc, vitamin A, Vitamins B1, b2, b3, b5, b6, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and fiber." The site goes on to list a number of health benefits, as well as a warning that pregnant women should not consume celery seed. How accurate all that is, I don't know. But, I like to think that the celery will add some good things to my soup.

I will either make drop dumplings from a biscuit mix or place biscuits on top.

I'm positive chicken soup and a hug for the cook are good for whatever ails ya!

Enjoy!
Elizabeth

1 comment:

faerieeva said...

Well, this time we did not post on the same thing, but we did do the same thing for the same reason. Yesterday we too were fighting the sniffles and I ended up making chicken soup. We didn't eat it yet though, and now I am doubting between matze balls or noodles. Hmmmm... decisions, decisions....