Wednesday, November 07, 2007


The Project Begins...

I've decided to do a frugal makeover and deep cleaning of my home, with the idea of seeing just how much the house will be transformed by my birthday in May. I've challenged myself to work within my time budget and to work within my financial budget -- so, with both of those, I'll have to be super creative. I've also challenged myself to keep this makeover surrendered to the Lord, rather than stressing out if his plans for my days take me in a different direction than my plans for the makeover.

Yesterday's projects were to put a second coat of varnish on our outdoor swing and to re-paint our pantry doors. The white paint had worn thin in spots on the doors, which gave them a dirty look even after cleanings. The new coat of white paint really makes them sparkle.

Yesterday was not the wisest day for me to put the second coat of urethane on the swing. When I did the first coat, the days were nice and mild, and the varnish went on easily. After a storm came through our area Monday night, the temps dropped, and the afternoon was chilly. We even had our first real freeze of the season last night. I think the varnish had time to dry without being too affected by the cold.

DH has volunteered to paint a room for me soon. Before my dad got sick, I was working out a color scheme for our home. (The dining room has been done for a while, so we don't have to worry about that). I'm a little paralyzed about picking colors for the downstairs right now, as we will be getting new furniture there that will have to harmonize with the walls. Plus, the staircase to our second story opens off of the living room area, which means that I will have to carry the paint up to the second floor. The only thing is that I want to do something a little different with the upstairs than with the down.

Any suggestions?

Enjoy!
Elizabeth

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Since you have the luxury of new paint and new furniture, I would find your key furniture before painting the walls. It is a LOT easier to work from the colors in a fabric than it is to find a fabric that matches.

Mimi said...

Well, we're not rushing out to buy furniture or paint just yet. We're waiting to see how some other things fall into place first. In the meantime, I'm reading your blog and others for some frugal ideas, and I'm on the hunt for bargains!

Linz said...

I think the hardest job in the world is to coordinate an entire house's color, especially when you love different colors! However, I was inspired when walking after a fall rainstorm. The colors were so mixed, but glorious together, the skyblue/gray, dark brown, bright peachy orange, mellow greens. So I'd suggest looking to your favorite time in nature. No doubt that God's the greatest decorator. Just use His color schemes and you can't go wrong with mixing your colors. :D

Mimi said...

What a beautiful thought.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I'll follow keenly to see how you get on.

We are planning a whole house makeover next year (new kitchen, carpets, flooring, paint) and I am very interested to see what others are doing.

Kate