Friday, February 19, 2010


More S.E.A.M. Loves D.B.M., otherwise entitled,
Names, Part II



TopazTook's comment on my last post inspired me to re-look up what
my husband's first name means. I thought I remembered that my dear hubby's name had a meaning similar to my first name, which means "promise of God". But, Internet sources cite his first name as meaning "Beloved". (That's what most things I read say, but there were a few dissenting ideas about the name that I came across.) Certainly, he is named after a man who was beloved of God.

I like the idea of his name meaning Beloved, because I love the quotes in Song of Songs that reference the bride's view of her "beloved". For example, I love the verse (S of S 6:3) that says, "My beloved is mine, and I am his." I think the word for beloved there is from the Hebrew word that we would pronounce dodi, which is interesting as I think I remember that Doady is used as a nickname for the main character of David Copperfield.

Anyhow, whether that's what his name means or not, he is still my beloved after nearly thirty years of marriage. I've never been a big fan of the word "hubby" for husband, for some reason. As I posted some time ago, I've had a hard time coming up with a blog name that conveys my affection for my soul-mate. So, I think, henceforth, in this blog, dear hubby shall be known as "my beloved." I hate to copy CALM Reflection's beautiful references to her beloved husband, but it's the one blog title that seems to work for my dear D. :)

Three guesses what my husband's first name is. If you haven't figured it out from the clues already in this post, here's another one: There is a movie entitled ____ & _____. If you fill in the blanks, you will have my first name and his.

Enjoy!
Elizabeth

No comments: