Wednesday, April 11, 2012

14 days to a sneeze free home...Day 2

Well, travels have taken me out of  the home, so I haven't been there to continue my allergy trigger attack program.  However, I'm still researching so that I can get back on it when I get home.  I have learned one thing:  I can't outrun the pollen/allergy triggers -- at least not if I run only to other Southern states.  I'm also thinking that I need to be more on top of keeping suitcases dust free, lint free, and otherwise clean. 

Today, we'll deal with the yuckies.  These are things no one ever wants in their house, but we sometimes have to tackle them anyway.  Not only are they unpleasant, they can bring in allergy triggers (not to mention germs).  Cutting down your allergy risk factor is just one more reason to get rid of the following:

1)  Moldy or out of date food in the fridge.  (Guilty of leaving cleaning the fridge last on my list of chores!)
2)  Roaches
3)  Mice
4)  Foodstuff left in kitchen can -- take out kitchen trash and garbage daily.  Regularly clean your kitchen garbage can and your other trash cans. 
5)  Mildew in places like showers

Ok, let's get really yucky:  House dust is made up, in large measure, of dead skin cells from people and pets.  This is the stuff on which dust mites thrive.  Dust mites are a known allergy trigger for many people. So, get your dust cloths and dust mops out, wash your bedding, and consider using dust-free liners for pillows and beds! 


Here are two unpleasant carriers of allergy triggers that we are more apt to accumulate when we are older or become empty nesters after having reared children:

1)  Stale or musty air in parts of the house.  Keep the air fresh even in seldom used rooms or closets.    Open the door to these areas from from time to time to let the air circulate.  Use a fan to air areas like these.  Open nearby windows if this does not make your allergies worse.
2)  Old, unused clothing. 

Some say that if you suffer from seasonal allergies that you should keep your windows closed and rely on central air conditioning or heat.  Others say that indoor air is dirtier than the air outside and that allowing fresh air in can help tame your allergies.  I imagine that it all depends on what you are allergic to and where you live.  Talk to your doctor, experiment with open and closed windows and use common sense.   Do you have sneezing attacks when you go outside?  Open windows are probably not a good idea. If you feel better outdoors, they might be.  At some times of the year, airing out the house makes no difference in my allergy level and makes me feel a little better because the air is fresher.  At other times, the breeze brings in pollens that do bother me.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Lili said...

Hi Elizabeth...Thank you for leaving that nice comment over at my blog so I could come here and find you. Just got back from visiting our kids/grandkids in the midwest and both me and hubby both came home with major allergies as spring was in full force there. And we typically aren't bothered by pollen...maybe there's something different happening this year. I enjoyed reading your tips on combating allergies though...very timely advice for us right now! ~Lili