Friday, April 22, 2011

Calling all gardeners -- Need the 411

A couple of years ago, I brought home some prairie rose seeds from Texas. The picture on the seed packet was a very pronounced pink. It is only this year that this plant has grown very large and has started to bloom. Is this my prairie rose? The blossom looks a little bit like a Cherokee rose. It also looks a little bit like a blackberry blossom.

You can't tell it from the photo, but this part of the bush is supported on a makeshift trellis against a brick wall. The bush wants to grow out sideways, sending out long canes and runners.

There is a white variety of prairie rose that grows up north, I think, but I wasn't expecting that from the seed packet. Whatever it is, it's lovely. However, I'd love to be able to identify it.

It is growing near cultivated (not wild) roses. Is that a problem?


Let me know what y'all think.




No comments: