Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lavender explosion...

"We, little fishes, after the image of our Ichthys, Jesus Christ, are born in the water." Tertullian.

My lavender has spread out everywhere! I suppose, like most herbs, it is a vigorous grower. It always has been in my garden, at any rate.

In the past, I've dried it just by tying it upside down and letting it hang. Do any of you lavender growers know if there's a better way to dry it? My goal is to make sachets out of it, both for use in my closets and to give as gifts. Is there something special I should do to use it in a sachet.

The texture of my dried lavender doesn't seem to be quite as uniform as dried lavender I've bought.

This is a photo taken some time back. The onions/leeks in the foreground have now opened into huge, round, beautiful purple flowers. I was hoping that they would attract bees and butterflies to my garden, but, so far,the flowers are drawing some kind of wasp.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

becky s said...

I used to dry flowers by putting them in a box with corn meal sprinkled on them (and a layer of corn meal on the bottom of the box). I don't know if that would give you the texture you're working for, but I know that they were always nice looking when it was done.

Mimi said...

That sounds like a nice way to dry them. I will try it. Thanks for the tip.

Christine said...

I believe commercial lavender is dried via dehydrator. If you have a food dehydrator you might try that... plus you house would smell lovely.

Sondra said...

I have been wanting to plant lavendar around my clothesline for FOREVER! ~sigh~ I have yet to actually do it... I LOVE the idea of having it hanging around the house~so good for BUGS too I've read! (((((HUGS))))) sandi