Saturday, January 26, 2008


This comes either one month too late or eleven months too early...

I just now saw this quote from Ben Stein (politician, actor, game show host) about Christmas, and I thought it was pithy:

"I keep seeing in the newspapers that it might not be a "good" Christmas because while visits to stores are up, purchases per visit are down very slightly.

There is also some fear that it might not be a "good" holiday season because fears about the housing correction will scare shoppers into keeping their wallets zipped.

I'm fascinated by this, because I have looked through a Concordance of the Old and New Testaments and I do not find the word "shopping" even once." emphasis mine.

Ben goes on to suggest a number of his suggestions about what makes for a meaningful Christmas, none of which have to do with the mall.

Of course, you won't find the word "Christmas" mentioned in the Bible either, nor will you find instructions to celebrate the holiday -- only accounts about the birth of Jesus. Even so, many of us do observe the day, and it's good to think about why.

Enjoy!
Elizabeth

No comments: