Sunday, October 28, 2012

Beautify our world -- thanksgiving.

Before you go out into the world, wash your face in the clear crystal of praise. Bury each yesterday in the fine linen and spices of thankfulness.  



 Charles Spurgeon

 






My friend Margaret, who owns Mom's Sign Company.  Isn't she cute?


One of the Thanksgiving signs that Margaret makes -- She does all kinds of decorative signs for the home.





I know it's a little early to be thinking about Thanksgiving Day, but I'm already looking forward to it.  It's the favorite holiday of both my husband and my daughter.  Actually, in our family, we all have happy memories of Thanksgiving.  Seeing how my family does love it keep some from rushing ahead to Christmas. 

I don't relate much to the "horror" elements of Halloween decorating, so I tend to focus on a fall theme that carries me from September through Thanksgiving Day.  Decorating wise, I don't go overboard for any holiday.  I do, however, like to change things up a little for the seasons and also to set holiday themed tables.
  
Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast. Shakespeare


November's such a great time to train our own hearts to be grateful, and to help train our children's hearts to be grateful, too.  If we all take one month to just camp out on the practice of being grateful, imagine how much that would infuse the other 11 months with gratitude, as well.   The old saying is that it takes 21 days to build a habit; the 30 days of November are more than enough time to cement the habit of gratitude in our minds.   

I love this verse from Colossians:

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

Wouldn't it be fun if everyone, everywhere was overflowing with thankfulness?  How happy would our homes be if we were all so full of thankfulness that it brimmed right over into our words and our actions.  Imagine waiting in line or sitting in a waiting room if everyone there was generally grateful.  Think what neighborhoods and workplaces would become.   Of course, I need to start my dream by looking in the mirror.  :)   

Enjoy!



 







2 comments:

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I am absolutely working on this in myself at the moment - learning how to combine working for a better future with being thorouhgly thankful for the present. Sounds easy but I have found it surprisingly tricky... I love that verse too!

Sarahx

Mimi said...

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your comment. It is trickier than it sounds sometimes! I love keeping up with modern country style and your Cotswald home through your blog.