Monday, October 10, 2011








Did you grow up on Dr. Seuss, as I did? As a child, I loved it when my parents read his books to me, and I was especially delighted when my father used food coloring to concoct
for me "a dish if " Green Eggs and Ham".

Of course, I shared the books with my children when they were young. Recently, my son told me that, when he visited San Diego, he heard that Dr. Seuss had spent some time in Southern California and that many of his drawings were inspired by the local vegetation. Now, I am visiting Southern California, and I can see a resemblance between some of Dr. Seuss' characters and the many beautiful trees and plants around here.

This made me curious, so being the Internet nerd that I am, I turned to Wikipedia's article about Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss). While the biography does note that Dr. Seuss lived in LaJolla for several years, it seems to indicate that his style was influenced more by his original boyhood home and surroundings in the mid west. Certainly, his career was well established by the time he moved to California, though some of his famous books were written in LaJolla.

What do you think? Have you lived in California or visited here? Do you think the vegetation could have been inspiration for his drawing style? Have you ever heard this? An inquiring mind wants to know....

enjoy!

(

2 comments:

JoannaTopazT said...

I have never heard this of this vegetation theory -- but I did hear that there is a new publication of "lost" Dr. Seuss stories this fall. "The Bippolo Seed" and others were originally published in magazines in the 1950s, I believe, and are now being published in a book collection. It's on my five-year-old's Christmas list!

Mimi said...

That sounds lovely. I'll have to check it out. I hear that there may also be a movie of the author's life coming out, too.

My favorites of all were the Winnie the Pooh series, but Dr. Seuss was also way up there on the top of my childhood list.