Friday, October 23, 2009


My Quote of the Day: We don't stop dancing because we get old; we get old because we stop dancing...Author Unknown

Until this was pointed out to me in a class, I did not realize that many of my favorite Bible verses actually form a theme. They relate to the idea that, in Christ, we don't merely get by, but we overflow or abound with the treasures God pours into our hearts.

Here are some examples:

Colossians 2:6-7 -- Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.

Romans 15:13 -- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I Thessalonians 3:2 May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you.

II Corinthians 8:1-And now, brothers, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability.

II Corinthians 1:5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

Isn't it a lovely promise that we can overflow and abound in our walk with Christ? It's challenging, too, though, for I don't always see myself as overflowing with love, joy, hope, and the comfort of Christ. When something overflows, you can't miss it. An overflowing cup, an overflowing pipe, or an overflowing river command our attention. In the same way, we are drawn to an overflowing spring leading to a pretty creek or the cascading overflow of a tiered fountain. So, I ask myself: would my family, my friends, or strangers I should chance to meet notice an overflow of these qualities of the Spirit in me? Do I truly allow myself to be filled to overflowing by the Lord? Or, do I choke the stream with other things flowing out of my heart, such as complaining or frustration or anxiety? Am I satisfied to level out spiritually where I am, or do I seek to grow in the knowledge and grace of the Lord so that I can overflow or abound more and more with the fruits of the Spirit living within me?

Since November is coming up, it's a good time to pray about and focus on overflowing with gratitude.

Enjoy!
Elizabeth

No comments: