Thursday, February 15, 2007


Odds and Ends

When asked about aprons in yesterday's meme, I said my favorite one was made by French Women Don't Get Fat. I do enjoy it. But, I don't know why I didn't think of my truly favorite apron. It is a white one that I got from a craft store. I decorated it with applique hearts and the words, "Every woman needs a song in her heart and an apron in her kitchen." I learned that saying from a sappy Hallmark movie, and I love it. Wearing it on my apron makes me happy.

On a completely different subject, I've included a photography of Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls with this post. This was my first cook book. Would you believe that I still use it on occasion? The recipes are simple enough for a child to start learning, with adult supervision, but they are fun for an adult to use, as well. There are illustrations of cooking techniques, as well as comments from children. There are recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and cookouts, as well as lots of party ideas and some special cakes.

Let me hasten to say that I was too young to start cooking when this cookbook came out, as it is about as old as I am. My parents bought mine when I was about ten, and I assume it was a later printing than the original. But, the cover looked pretty much the same.

Alas, that cover is gone, as my copy is almost worn out. So, imagine how delighted I was to find out recently that this book has been reprinted. It's on my to-do list to buy myself a new one. I suppose Betty Crocker is capitalizing that there are so many of us nostalgic Baby Boomers out there. But, even if you're too young to have enjoyed this little cookbook, I'd recommend that at least borrow a copy some time. It's a great little resource for a family to have.

No comments: