Saturday, December 22, 2007


Christmas Fun and Progress on my House Sprucing to Boot!

If you've been reading my blog, you know that I'm on a campaign to do the little extras that need doing to make our house clean and well-cared for. I had put that aside for the holidays. However, yesterday was warm, so I seized the day and spent an hour or two, puttering about yard and neatening things up.

This afternoon, our son arrived for the holidays, bringing a cat and a bonsai tree. In a few hours, our daughter and her husband will be here, and they will be bringing a dog. Tomorrow, my dad is coming to stay with us for a few days. That, plus dear hubby and I and our own cat makes for a full and happy house! Well, at least the people will be merry. I can't speak for our kitten, who is being a pet hostess for the first time. I think we have little work to do on her feline hospitality. :)

Christmas arrangement: If I get around to it, I'll take a picture of my stab at a creative Christmas arrangement. First, I draped a Christmas lace mantle cover over the antique dresser in our entryway. Then, I placed the larger of two silver bowls on the lace. I turned a little glass bowl upside down and placed the smaller silver bowl on it.

I got the idea of using the upside down glass bowl as a stand for the smaller bowl from the blog Like Merchant Ships.

Then, I placed silver-looking ornaments in both bowls, enough to make both bowls look full and to hide the upside-down glass bowl. I had plenty on hand, because I hung them from the chandelier over my dining room table last year.

Finally, I added little bits of Christmas tree branches that my husband had trimmed off to make the tree work in our living room. I can't decide if I like the arrangement better with or without the little bits of Christmas greenery, but I've decided to keep the greenery, anyway.

My original idea was to do a centerpiece of lemons and herb sprigs in a white pedestal bowl, loosely modeled after an example I saw of a holiday table setting in Southern Living. I put one together, and I thought it looked very pretty and fresh and cheerful. The only problem was that, on my table with my other decorations, it didn't look very Christmas-y. So, I took it apart. I'll do another one later on in the winter or in the spring.

I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season.

Enjoy!
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Buffy said...

I was just wondering how the cats and dog got on...:O

Mimi said...

Hi Buffy,

At first, each cat was unsure of the other one, and neither one accepted the dog's overtures of friendliness. But, once the dog left, the two cats became fast friends and cohorts in mischief. The visiting cat will be with us through New Year's, and we may possibly have another dog, accompanied by her owners, spend twenty-four hours with us on the weekend before New Year's.

It's a full house!

Hope your holidays have been great.